Telepathy is the ability to hear another's thoughts. The ability usually manifests on its own, but it can be triggered. It generally develops at the stage of a teenager, but Sophie Foster's telepathy was triggered at the age of five, due to the Black Swan.
A pair of Telepaths that have formed a deep connection referred to as Cognates, can achieve abilities a single Telepath cannot. A Cognate bond requires sharing all of your secrets and an extreme level of trust in the other person. Cognates are typically very powerful together.
Telepathy is considered to be one of the most important special abilities in the Elvin world, most likely because it's rare and powerful. There are many rules that come with telepathy, such as not entering another's mind without permission. Telepaths are also known to be better at mental tricks and certain skills that require strength from the mind. There are more Telepaths in the nobility in any other talent, and Telepathy is considered the most vital ability.
- Hearing broadcasted thoughts.
- Breaking into other elves' minds (not allowed unless the Telepath is on an assignment from the Council)
- Pinpointing other Elves' locations by tracking their thoughts (though Sophie can track to the exact location)
- Communicating with animals (currently only Sophie Foster and Fitz Vacker can do this)
- Performing memory breaks (destroying someone's sanity in order to learn what their mind is hiding)
- Acting as a guide for the Telepath who is performing the memory breaks
- Healing a broken mind (only Sophie Foster can do this)
- Transmitting to people (Sophie Foster can transmit very long distances)
- Being able to erase memories (Only Washers can do this)
- Transferring memories onto paper
Known Telepathy Jobs Edit
- Probe - Someone who searches through another's memories.
- Keeper - Someone who, after extensive training, keeps important secrets, in their mind.
- Washer - Someone who has the ability to erase memories.
- Sophie Foster
- Fitz Vacker
- Alden Vacker
- Tiergan (or Granite)
- Magnate Leto Kerlof (or Mr. Forkle and Sir Astin)
- Quinlin Sonden
- Damel Kafuta
- Telepaths are not supposed to block their thoughts, especially from Elvin authorities.
- Telepaths cannot read minds without permission, unless it is an emergency, or they're on a council assignment.