Telepathy is the ability to hear another's thoughts. The ability usually manifests on its own, but it can be triggered. Like with other special abilities, telepathy generally develops at the stage of a teenager, with the exception of Sophie Foster's, whose telepathy was triggered at the age of five by the Black Swan. Telepaths are considered rare in the elvin world and due to this, many are appointed to the nobility.
Capabilities[edit | edit source]
- Hearing broadcasted thoughts
- Breaking into other elves' minds (not allowed unless the Telepath is on an assignment from the Council or if they have permission from the person.)
- Pinpointing other Elves' locations by tracking their thoughts (though Sophie can track to the exact location)
- Communicating with animals (currently only Sophie Foster and Fitz Vacker can do this)
- Performing memory breaks (destroying someone's sanity in order to learn what their mind is hiding)
- Acting as a guide for the Telepath who is performing the memory breaks
- Healing a broken mind (only Sophie Foster can do this)
- Transmitting to people (Sophie Foster can transmit very long distances)
- Being able to erase memories (Only Washers can do this)
- Transferring memories onto a memory log
- Stronger mental concentration
- Increased capacity for mental tricks and certain skills that require strength from the mind
Cognatedom[edit | edit source]
A pair of Telepaths that have formed a deep connection can be referred to as Cognates, and they can achieve things a single Telepath cannot. A Cognate bond requires sharing all of your secrets and an extreme level of trust in the other person. Cognates are typically very powerful together. Some known cognates are Sophie Foster and Fitz Vacker, but they may or may not choose to stop after Sophie kept her biological mother's identity from Fitz. It was also revealed that Quinlin and Alden were cognates, but after Quinlin kept a secret from Alden, it damaged their trust they are no longer Cognates.
Importance[edit | edit source]
Telepathy is considered to be one of the most important special abilities in the Elvin world, because telepaths were the ones who first learned about the humans' plan to overthrow the elves. There are more Telepaths in the nobility than elves with any other talent, and Telepathy is considered the most vital ability.
Telepathic Regulations in the Lost Cities[edit | edit source]
- Telepaths are not supposed to block their thoughts, especially from Elvin authorities.
- Telepaths cannot read minds without permission, unless it is an emergency, or they're on a Council assignment.
Known Telepathic Jobs[edit | edit source]
- Probe - Someone who searches through another's memories.
- Keeper - Someone who, after extensive training, keeps important secrets, in their mind.
- Washer - Someone who has the ability to erase memories.
Known Telepaths[edit | edit source]
- Sophie Foster
- Fitz Vacker
- Alden Vacker
- Tiergan (or Granite)
- Prentice Endal
- Magnate Leto Kerlof (or Mr. Forkle and Sir Astin)
- Quinlin Sonden
- Kenric Fathdon
- Damel Kafuta
- Lady Pemberley
Known Cognates[edit | edit source]
- Alden Vacker and Quinlin Sonden (formerly, the trust between them was broken due to the mind break of Prentice)
- Sophie and Fitz (in training)
- Both Mr. Forkles (formerly)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Sophie Foster is the only known Telepath to have an impenetrable mind though Fitz Vacker and Mr. Forkle can bypass her blocking.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
“The mind is a tricky thing.”