Mesmers are able to force people to do anything that they command. Their victim(s) are fully conscious during the mesmerizing process, but elves with strong wills are shown to be able to resist the mesmerizing process. In addition, it's harder to mesmerize large groups of people. Grady Ruewen's limit is 24 elves, and that left him drained.
Grady doesn't like to talk about his abilities because it caused his friends to stop trusting him in his school years. He was even teased by Edaline's parents about mesmerizing their daughter into marriage. His limit of the number of people he can mesmerize at once is said to be around 24. Grady also hates being enhanced because he gets out of control and he’s afraid of doing something rash that might put his loved ones in danger. When Grady is enhanced, he is able to control not only human minds but animal minds as well.
Examples of Mesmerizing Edit
- Grady mesmerized the Councillors into slapping themselves in the face and forced Brant to hold his hand in a ball of Everblaze, making Brant's hand burn off.
- He made Edaline wave her hands around like a "flailing octopus".
- In Everblaze, Grady made King Dimitar punch himself in the nose when he was threatening to take Sophie to Ravagog.
- In Nightfall, Grady makes Fintan unlock the door to the exit and then makes Fintan knock himself out.
- In the first book, Grady pretends that he had mesmerized Sophie.