“Mallowmelt always makes a difficult conversation easier.”
Mallowmelt is a gooey treat that tastes like "fresh-baked chocolate-chip cookies soaked in ice cream and covered in frosting and butterscotch."
Throughout the books, this delicious treat was served many times during serious meetings or just a simple conversation.
When Sophie talked with Amy (during Book 6: Nightfall) her sister steals all Sophie's share of the gooey treats, surprised and amazed by how delicious it is. Sophie had similar reactions during her first encounter with mallowmelt and also said it was probably the best thing she had ever eaten.
These recipes have been adapted from the ones on Shannon Messenger's website.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups butterscotch chips (divided)
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows (divided)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (divided)
- 1 14oz can of sweetened & condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 9×13 inch metal baking pan.
- Using a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup of the butterscotch chips with the butter in the microwave. It’s easiest to work in 20-second intervals, stirring in between. Set aside to cool. (Note: Do not over melt! It’s okay if a few lumps remain.)
- In a large bowl, stir the brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour, baking powder and salt until combined.
- When the butterscotch mixture has cooled, pour into the large bowl and stir to combine with the brown sugar/egg/vanilla mixture. Add the flour mixture and stir until just mixed.
- Stir in 2 cups of the marshmallows, 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of the butterscotch chips.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan. Top with the remaining marshmallows, chocolate, and butterscotch chips, scattering evenly. Drizzle entire can of sweetened & condensed milk evenly over the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Top will be browned but still quite gooey. Cool, completely (at least 2-3 hours) and serve!
Mallowmelt Cupcakes Edit
Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 tbsp flour
Ingredients for Frosting
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 7-oz jar of marshmallow crème
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Start with one box of your favourite yellow cake mix (note: works best if there’s pudding in the mix)
- Follow the directions on the box
- Add vanilla to prepared mix
- Line 12-24 cupcake pans (depending on box mix) with paper or foil liners
- Pour mixture evenly into prepared pans
- In a separate bowl, combine semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1tbsp of flour
- In another bowl, combine butterscotch chips with 1tbsp of flour
- Sprinkle some of each type of chips into each cupcake and very lightly press into batter
- Bake as directed. Allow to cool before frosting
For the Marshmallow Frosting
- Combine butter, marshmallow crème, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl
- Add 1tbsp of milk and beat with an electric mixer
- Check consistency and repeat with additional tbsp. of milk (up to 4 tbsp) until desired smoothness is reached
- Frost cupcakes once they have cooled completely
- Decorate as desired
- Shannon Messenger mentioned in the annotated edition that she envisioned mallowmelt as an icecream sandwich without the cold or sogginess.