Being around one will make those surrounding them more powerful to a very small extent, and most are not able to notice the change. The true boost of an Enhancer comes from the touch of their fingertips, where their body stores energy ready to transfer on contact.
Enhancers can wear gloves or avoid contact with others to prevent accidental enhancements. Wearing gloves can also give them a few seconds to escape from anyone that tries to take unwanted advantage of their ability, though gloves are not necessary to wear when at home or among friends. The ability itself cannot be turned off without help — it automatically occurs, like how a Polyglot's mind instinctively translates languages, although, with proper mindfulness and awareness, it can be controlled and turned manually on and off at will.
Being an Enhancer would not affect the Enhancer's own abilities, but it would strengthen the abilities of those around them, which can be both an advantage and disadvantage when battling against enemies with friends.
The only mentioned Enhancer in this series is Sophie Foster. When Sophie first manifests as an Enhancer, she feels as though a part of her has been missing her entire life, and like there was a layer of energy on and around her fingertips. Sophie manages to gain control of her Enhancing in Book 8: Legacy during an exercise with Councillor Oralie. Councillor Oralie also theorized that Sophie could, with practice, change how much or how little power she Enhanced others by, allowing a range of power in her Enhancing.
Known Enhancers[edit | edit source]
Enhancing being used in the Series[edit | edit source]
Sophie manifested as an Enhancer in Lodestar, and it was manually triggered by Mr. Forkle. He described Sophie's Enhancing ability to be a natural result of the various tweaks he had made to her genes. It had remained dormant — which meant that her Enhancing talent would never have manifested on its own — before he triggered it. Thus far, Sophie's Enhancing ability has helped the abilities of her friends and her family become more powerful.
An example is that after Tam Song gets Enhanced by Sophie in Lodestar, he is able to make use of his enhanced ability as a Shade to locate the thick black outline around the glow of the Lodestar symbol and used starlight absorbed by a shadow to leap him, Sophie, and Fitz Vacker to Valkonian, a hideout belonging to the Neverseen.
Another example is when Sophie and Edaline Ruewen are escaping from the crumbling ruins of Lumenaria in Lodestar, Sophie removes her gloves and enhances Edaline's ability as a Conjurer so Edaline could use her enhanced strength to better conjure away anything that tried to crush them.
Keefe Sencen has also learned himself that he can control and influence Sophie’s emotions when Enhanced by her. For example, when she wanted to inflict on King Dimitar, he ungloved and unhooked her gloves and her crush-cuffs so he could go to her emotional center. Occasionally, he gives others a cool breeze to calm them down.
Other Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Teleportation: only alicorns have this ability, sophie foster's dna is related to an alicorn's dna >:) I DONT LIKE U
- Vanishers: Vanish more people than themselves through hand to hand contact, Vanishing comes almost automatically
- Empaths: Increased sensing abilities, and feel emotions from the heart as well as the head
- Shades: Create leaping portals with darkness instead of light
- Technopaths: Completely understanding (most) gadgets in their hands
- Mesmers: Influence animals, increased control and power
- Conjurers: Put very large and heavy things into the void
- Hydrokinetics, Frosters, Pyrokinetics and other abilities related to elements: Be completely in control of the element, increased threshold and power
- Telepath: Enhanced abilities, extremely fast mental speed, able to read minds
- Phasers: Molecules in body separate, allowing phasers to walk through solid things.