| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details from the latest books.
Keeper of the Lost Cities: Legacy is the eighth book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series. On May 22nd, 2018, Shannon Messenger announced that there will be a eighth book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series. The previous book is Flashback, which was released on November 6, 2018.
There is also a Barnes and Noble exclusive edition of Legacy, featuring illustrated end pages and a bonus chapter in Tam's perspective, which will answer one of the longest-standing questions from the series. It can be purchased at Barnes and Noble or any other book store you prefer.
'Illusions shatter—and Sophie and her friends face impossible choices—in this astonishing eighth book in the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling Keeper of the Lost Cities series.
Sophie Foster wants answers. But after a lifetime of lies, sometimes the truth is the most dangerous discovery. Even the smallest secret comes with terrifying new responsibilities
And Sophie’s not the only one with blank spots in her past, or mysteries surrounding her family. She and her friends are part of something much bigger than they imagined—and their roles have already been chosen for them.
Every clue drags them deeper into the conspiracy. Every memory forces them to question everything—especially one another. And the harder they fight, the more the lines blur between friend and enemy.
This is a list of some of the top rejected titles and why they were rejected. They were released on Shannon Messenger's Instagram on January 28-30.
- Jan. 28: Inception
Reason: There is a very famous movie of the same name, so Shannon Messenger and her editor thought that would be too confusing to have it called the same name. This rejected title suggests that we may be given information about Sophie's genetics.
- Jan. 29: Deadlock
Reason: She was worried readers would see the word "dead" and automatically assume someone dies in the book. Shannon Messenger won’t say whether or not someone dies, but she didn’t want anyone to assume that they did.
- Jan. 30: Rematch
Reason: Shannon Messenger didn't think it felt right, and thought it wasn't exciting enough to do justice to the plot. Also, the book is about more than just matchmaking.
This cover, designed by Jason Chan, is controversial but loved by most. It was revealed on Monday, May 13th, 2019 at 10 am PST.
This is the first cover that has just Shannon Messenger's name on it, rather than "By Shannon Messenger".
Sophie is shown on the cover, as well as Keefe and Fitz; the two boys are holding Sophie up while holding onto her hands. Bluish-reddish-magenta energy is coming out of and surrounding Sophie's forehead. Shannon Messenger has confirmed that it is Inflicting, visualized, most likely targeted inflicting, as Fitz and Keefe do not appear to be affected. The clock tower at the end of the Westminster (Big Ben) in London is shown in the background, leading us to believe that some of the books will take place in the Forbidden Cities, possibly involving the green door shown in one of Keefe's memories that was taken by Lady Gisela and the Neverseen. The time on the Big Ben states that it's 12 o'clock, and it seems to be stormy and dark outside, but also teal.Sophie's gloves are off (probably indicating that she's enhancing), her cognate rings are off, and the pin on her cloak is not the Ruewen crest she usually wears. Fitz's crest cannot be seen, so either it is cut out by the angle, or he isn't wearing one. It looks like there is something under Sophie's sleeve on her right wrist. It could be a crush cuff or Dex's Sucker punch. Keefe, Fitz, and Sophie are all wearing the same kind of cloak. It can be noted that all three characters are wearing Elvin clothing. As written above, Sophie's gloves are off. However, Tinker (the Black Swan's Technopath) made Sophie fake nails to also block her enhancing, just in case. She still may be enhancing, as Fitz and Keefe are most often being enhanced by her during battles due to Fitz's ability to give her mental energy and Keefe's to calm her or dull strain.
- "The world isn't safe for sparkly flying horses."
- "See why I didn't want to bring this up?" Keefe asked. "It's like, just when you think it can't possibly get any worse - it does!"
- Dex scratched his chin. "Nah. Annoying you is way more fun."
- Ro giggled. "The adorable obliviousness strikes again!"
- "The Black Swan didn't make a gadget. They made a person. So they're going to have to deal with the fact that you have a mind of your own."
- "You're failing me with your human knowledge, Foster."
- "Sooooooooo, what you're saying is, you think I'm the king of bad decisions," Keefe said.
- Sophie leaned a little closer, telling herself to be brave as she reached up and smoothed the crinkle between Fitz's eyebrows with the tip of her finger. “Pretty sure I’ll always need you,” Sophie transmitted.
- "Fine," Stina said, tilting up her chin. "But if I turn out to be right, expect a lot of 'I told you so's."
- "But I am the moonlark. I was literally designed to be part of everything that's happening."
- "Uh, it's not like we've never done the News of Doom thing before."
- Her eyes narrowed at Sophie. "I'd be happy to spell it all out for you if you want. We could make a pros and cons list together!"
- "If something happens to you or your friends, you're going to have to live with it!"
- Watchward Heath
- Mr. Forkle brings Sophie to his secret office, where he reveals his theory that the Neverseen will be attacking the dwarves next. Sophie agrees to work with him on it, and asks about her biological parents. Mr. Forkle refuses to give her any information, so Sophie decides to find out for herself.
- Reaching out to Tam
- Sophie communicates telepathically with Tam, who reveals that Lady Gisela has ordered him to kill Keefe.
- Visiting Keefe
- Sophie and Sandor go to the Shores of Solace, where Sophie tells Keefe about what Tam told her. Keefe reveals that he has been taking fathomlethes and searching his memories, sorting them into four journals. He found an image of the man he delivered Gisela's letter to in London. Keefe also agrees to help Sophie search for her biological parents
- Team Valliant