| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details from the latest books.
Keeper of the Lost Cities: Legacy is the eighth book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series. On May 22nd, 2018, Shannon Messenger announced that there will be a eighth book in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series. The previous book is Flashback, which was released on November 6, 2018.
'Illusions shatter—and Sophie and her friends face impossible choices—in this astonishing eighth book in the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling Keeper of the Lost Cities series.
Sophie Foster wants answers. But after a lifetime of lies, sometimes the truth is the most dangerous discovery. Even the smallest secret comes with terrifying new responsibilities
And Sophie’s not the only one with blank spots in her past, or mysteries surrounding her family. She and her friends are part of something much bigger than they imagined—and their roles have already been chosen for them.
Every clue drags them deeper into the conspiracy. Every memory forces them to question everything—especially one another. And the harder they fight, the more the lines blur between friend and enemy.
This is a list of some of the top rejected titles and why they were rejected. They were released on Shannon Messenger's Instagram on January 28-30.
- Jan. 28: Inception
Reason: There is a very famous movie of the same name, so Shannon Messenger and her editor thought that would be too confusing to have it called the same name. This rejected title suggests that we may be given information about Sophie's genetics.
- Jan. 29: Deadlock
Reason: She was worried readers would see the word "dead" and automatically assume someone dies in the book. Shannon Messenger won’t say whether or not someone dies, but she didn’t want anyone to assume that they did.
- Jan. 30: Rematch
Reason: Shannon Messenger didn't think it felt right, and thought it wasn't exciting enough to do justice to the plot. Also, the book is about more than just matchmaking.
This cover, designed by Jason Chan, is controversial but loved by most. It was revealed on Monday, May 13th, 2019 at 10 am PST.
This is the first cover that has just Shannon Messenger's name on it, rather than "By Shannon Messenger".
Sophie is shown on the cover, as well as Keefe and Fitz; the two boys are holding Sophie up while holding onto her hands. Bluish-reddish-magenta energy is coming out of and surrounding Sophie's forehead. Shannon Messenger has confirmed that it is Inflicting, visualized, most likely targeted inflicting, as Fitz and Keefe do not appear to be affected. The clock tower at the end of the Westminster (Big Ben) in London is shown in the background, leading us to believe that some of the books will take place in the Forbidden Cities, possibly involving the green door shown in one of Keefe's memories that was taken by Lady Gisela and the Neverseen. The time on the Big Ben states that it's 12 o'clock, and it seems to be stormy and dark outside, but also teal.Sophie's gloves are off (probably indicating that she's enhancing), her cognate rings are off, and the pin on her cloak is not the Ruewen crest she usually wears. Fitz's crest cannot be seen, so either it is cut out by the angle, or he isn't wearing one. It looks like there is something under Sophie's sleeve on her right wrist. It could be a crush cuff or Dex's Sucker punch. Keefe, Fitz, and Sophie are all wearing the same kind of cloak. It can be noted that all three characters are wearing Elvin clothing. As written above, Sophie's gloves are off. However, Tinker (the Black Swan's Technopath) made Sophie fake nails to also block her enhancing, just in case. She still may be enhancing, as Fitz and Keefe are most often being enhanced by her during battles due to Fitz's ability to give her mental energy and Keefe's to calm her or dull strain.
What We Know
- Keefe, Fitz and Sophie are both featured on the spine of Legacy. (You will see this if you look closely)
- Iggy will have crimped ice blue fur.
- The Dwarven world/capital and Trollish world/capital may be involved.
- The Neverseen will definitely be involved.
- Sophie is inflicting in the cover scene.
- They will be in London sometime in the book.
- The first edition of LEGACY (meaning ALL the copies from the original printing of the book) will have some very special extra bonus content, including a short chapter from Tam Song's point of view. Shannon Messenger will share more info soon, but the first edition will only be available WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, so the best way to get a copy is to PRE-ORDER from ANY retailer.
- There will be a Barnes and Noble Exclusive edition which includes Tam's short story and an exclusive un-edited draft scene of Legacy.
- The cover was released on Monday, May 13, 2019
- The book was released on November 5, 2019
- There will be a scene including British biscuits, likely Jammie Dodgers, McVitie's Digestives, or McVitie's Hobnobs, as revealed on Instagram when Shannon Messenger posted about buying British biscuits to ensure accuracy. Apparently, they turn to paste in one's mouth.
- The two scenes in Flashback, depicted in the new Laura Hollingsworth artwork, will be important in a specific way in Legacy.
- "Team Valiant" will be a part of Legacy in an unknown way.
- Some of the plans Shannon Messenger has had for Maruca will come into play.
- Alvar is revealed to be slowly dying.
- "The world isn't safe for sparkly flying horses."
- "See why I didn't want to bring this up?" Keefe asked. "It's like, just when you think it can't possibly get any worse - it does!"
- Dex scratched his chin. "Nah. Annoying you is way more fun."
- Ro giggled. "The adorable obliviousness strikes again!"
- "The Black Swan didn't make a gadget. They made a person. So they're going to have to deal with the fact that you have a mind of your own."
- "You're failing me with your human knowledge, Foster."
- "Sooooooooo, what you're saying is, you think I'm the king of bad decisions," Keefe said.
- Sophie leaned a little closer, telling herself to be brave as she reached up and smoothed the crinkle between Fitz's eyebrows with the tip of her finger. “Pretty sure I’ll always need you,” Sophie transmitted.
- "Fine," Stina said, tilting up her chin. "But if I turn out to be right, expect a lot of 'I told you so's."
- "But I am the moonlark. I was literally designed to be part of everything that's happening."
- "Uh, it's not like we've never done the News of Doom thing before."
- Her eyes narrowed at Sophie. "I'd be happy to spell it all out for you if you want. We could make a pros and cons list together!"
- "If something happens to you or your friends, you're going to have to live with it!"