The title was chosen on January 17th, 2019 and announced on January 31st, 2019.
Illusions shatter—and Sophie and her friends face impossible choices—in this astonishing eighth book in the New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling Keeper of the Lost Cities series.
Sophie Foster wants answers. But after a lifetime of lies, sometimes the truth is the most dangerous discovery. Even the smallest secret comes with terrifying new responsibilities.
And Sophie’s not the only one with blank spots in her past, or mysteries surrounding her family. She and her friends are part of something much bigger than they imagined—and their roles have already been chosen for them.
Every clue drags them deeper into the conspiracy. Every memory forces them to question everything—especially one another. And the harder they fight, the more the lines blur between friend and enemy.
This is a list of all the rejected titles and the reasons why they were rejected. They were released on Jan. 28-30.
- Jan. 28: Inception
Reason: There's a very famous movie by the same name, so Shannon Messenger and her editor thought that would be too confusing to have it called the same name.
- Jan. 29: Deadlock
Reason: She was worried readers would see the word "dead" and assume someone dies in the book. Shannon Messenger won’t say whether or not someone dies, but she didn’t want anyone to assume that they did.
- Jan. 30: Rematch
Reason: Shannon Messenger didn't think it felt right, and thought it wasn't exciting enough to do justice to the plot. Also, the book is about more than just matchmaking.
The official cover has not been released yet. It will likely be released within the coming months before summer. From the title image, it can be assumed that this volume will carry a similar color scheme with hues of blue, orange, and pink.
- The title "Legacy" might have been chosen because it has been hinted about how Tam will be filling in Keefe's spot in the "Legacy" thing. - Goofygirl323
- It could be hinting toward more information about the "Vacker legacy". - MagicDaydreamer
- It could be hinting at Lady Gisela's "Legacy" For Keefe - MoonCakes64
- I think it might be giving more information on WHY Alvar joined the Neverseen. I also think that it will finally tell us who Sophie's legacy in the Elvin world. She might also give us answers about who Sophie's parents are.-22.214.171.124
- I think it's hinting to either Keefe or Fitz's "(Vacker)" Legacy because who remembers when Councillor Terik descried Keefe and Keefe said I bet Sophie's badness level was off the charts and he said, not as much as yours. - thebluehydrokinetic
- I think it's because Tam is trying to fill in for Keefe's legacy but I think he's going to fail because in book 6 Lady Gisela said that she needed an empath to run nightfall. -126.96.36.199
- What if they all have legacies? That would maybe make sense. I mean, Keefe, Fitz, and Sophie already have legacies.
- It could it be hinting that Sophie finds her biological parents. And that she learns more.Hopefully with fitz
- I think that the title "Legacy" means that the story will be about Keefe's legacy, the Vacker legacy, and pretty much all the characters wondering/deciding/finding out what their legacies will be. -Anonymous
- I think it is hinting that Sophie learns who her biological parents are. And then she learn she has a large legacy to live up to. -Anonymous
- I think it might be hinting at the fact that we discover the Vacker, Moonlark, or Keefe legacy. -Sophie Foster, Ability Extraordinaire
- I feel like Legacy is the title you guessed since Neverseen, but I honestly think that this is too perfect. Probably what it's hinting at is that Lady Gisela is going to force Keefe to live up his Legacy -- and if he doesn't, Tam will take his place. - -kotlc-sea-otter-
- Since the synopsis is focused on memories and past, Keefe may get some memories back - TheSavageCabbageKing
- Maybe what it means by the lines blurring between friend and enemy is that they form an alliance with Fintan. -188.8.131.52
- Probably this time the "super secret special end part" will be about Tam - 23.02.2019
- Maybe Tam will really join the Neverseen for good. I don't want to believe it, but it could happen. -184.108.40.206
- Maybe they are hinting about the secret of who Sophie's biological parents are. - Echlinlee
- I have many theories on what Legacy will be about. Because of the title "Legacy," I think Keefe and the Vackers and Sophie and many other characters will talk about/discover/look/think about their legacies. I think the rejected title, "Inception" means that Sophie will find out more about her inception, and who her gene parents are. I think that the title Deadlock will mean that someone will die, or maybe there is a plant or something called Deadlock so no one actually dies. And the Rematch title makes me believe that Sophie will make her final decisions about the matchmaking, maybe kiss Fitz, and a bunch of other lovey-dovey stuff will happen. But really, all I know for sure is that Legacy will be a REALLY interesting book! :D -Anonymous
- I have a feeling that Sophie and Fitz will still go out with each other and that people will think that they are a bad match.
- I think that something will happen with Keefe and it will divide Sophie and him. His legacy is very intertwined with the neverseen. I definitely thing that Keefe will get some memories that he thinks will turn people againt him.
- I think the cover may be a darker blue/purple, as the thing that she realized the official cover as. With hints of a pinkish and some orange. - Hippers600
- I think Keefe, Sophie, and Fitz will be on the cover, because both Keefe and Fitz are wrapped up into legacies that they didn't know about before, and Sophie because, well, she's the main character. -Gildie-Everblaze
- I think Marella will (finally) be on the cover, becuase y'know, she's being trained by Fintan. She could, actually, be wearing a Neverseen cloak. Fintan could be trying to recruit her. The Neverseen could tell her "we can help your mom!" And Shannon could leave us wondering " who is the pyrokinetic on the cover?? (Secretly it's me) -Berlynn
- I think that a member of the Neverseen will be on the cover and MAYBE there will be a picture of Sophie, Keefe, and Fitz.
- I think that Keefe and Sophie and Biana/Fitz will be on the cover because they are the ones with mentioned legacies. - literarylove44
- Everyone keeps saying that Dex will be on the cover. - Sophie Foster, Ability Extraordinaire
- I'm kinda surprised this hasn't been revealed yet, but I think Blur is Jensi's brother, and I think that may be revealed in Flashback. - Gildie-Everblaze
- OF COURSE SOPHIE AND FITZ WILL BE TOGETHER AHH!!!!! yes! -Suspira (220.127.116.11)
- I think that Elwin is Sophie's gene father. And as for her gene mother, I think it will be either Oralie or Lady Gisela
- I think that Oralie is Sophie's mom, but honestly, I have no idea what's going to happen - It's up to Shannon! ~Allie the Hydrokinetic Polygot
- It wouldn't make sense that Elwin is Sophie's father or that Oralie is Sophie's mom because Mr. Forkle told her that her parents were people she didn't know
- YAAAAAAAAAS GO SOPHITZ!!! - Sophie Foster, Ability Extraordinaire
- I think Blur is Jensi's brother, too, Gildie, and I litteraly have a whole notebook on tying to figure out the collective's identities...But it would make since, as in Nightfall, Blur is 'slightly familiar' so I'm wondering if Jensi and his brother look a lot alike!! - -kotlc-sea-otter-
- I have this feeling that it's gonna be a Vacker. I hate it, but I can't get it out of my head.