Keeper of the Lost Cities: Unlocked is book 8.5 in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series. Shannon Messenger announced the release of the book on February 19, 2020. The previous book is Legacy, which released on November 5, 2019.
- Unlocked was released on November 17th, 2020 (USA).
- Shannon Messenger finished writing Unlocked on September 12.
- Unlocked was told from both Keefe’s and Sophie’s perspectives, which has never been done before in the series before.
- Unlocked picked up right where Legacy left off.
- A preview of Unlocked was released with the paperback version of Legacy on October 13, 2020 (In the USA)
- In this book, Iggy is mermaid color with stripes, which won in a poll on Shannon Messenger's Instagram.
- On Shannon Messenger's website, it is said that the characters will discover new powers. While it is unknown who these powers belong to, it will most likely be Sophie or Keefe.
- An excerpt of Unlocked can be found at https://issuu.com/simonteen/docs/unlocked_excerpt
The cover of Unlocked was designed by Karin Paprocki and illustrated by Jason Chan. This is the first time that Sophie has been the sole Elvin character on the cover. Shannon Messenger said they wanted to let Sophie shine on the cover alone because Unlocked, as a continuation of the main series and a series guide/supplement, represents her journey so far.
After the battle in Loanmore, devastating discoveries have come to light, threatening to destroy everything Sophie has been fighting for.
Impossible choices lie ahead. So do necessary sacrifices–if Sophie and her friends are willing to make them...
Told through the perspectives of Sophie and Keefe, this chapter in the Keeper of the Lost Cities is packed full of hard truths, new powers, and game changing twists–and that's not all!
Unlocked offers a comprehensive guide to the words of the Lost Cities, including never seen before art, a map of the Lost Cities, characters and world details, activities and much more!
(The following excerpt was released on October 2nd, 2020, on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
Oralie leaned closer, her breath clouding the crystal as she whispered, "Fathdon."
Sophie realized that was Councillor Kenric's last name the same moment the cache flared glaringly bright and she found herself squinting right at him- or rather, squinting at a small projection of him that was hovering above the glowing orb like a tiny Kenric apparition. A projection of Oralie stood facing him, both of them silhouetted in moonlight, wearing long silver capes with hoods covering their circlets.
"I knew Kenric would be a part of this," the real Oralie murmured. "He always insisted on being involved in everything I did."
"But he doesn't look happy about it," Sophie noted.
(The following excerpt was released on October 21st, 2020, on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
Fitz sighed. “Come on, don’t look at me like that. You think I wanted to hear what you’re thinking?”
(The following excerpt was released on October 27th, 2020 on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
Ro whistled. "What do you know? For a moment, I actually like Captain Perfectpants."
(The following excerpt was released on October 30th, 2020 on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
"Being the moonlark meant being lied to and lying to everyone."
(The following excerpt was released on November 2nd, 2020 on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
"Wow you're really scared. I'm not even an Empath and I can feel it."
(The following excerpt was released on November 4th, 2020 on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
“Your stubbornness has gotten much stronger since you first arrived in our world,” Lord Cassius noted.
(The following excerpt was released on November 6th, 2020 on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
“Seems you've also picked up my son's habit of using jokes to deflect attention. But they never fully mask what you're hiding, do they?”
(The following excerpt was released on November 7th, 2020 on Shannon Messenger's Instagram)
An excerpt of Unlocked can be found at https://issuu.com/simonteen/docs/unlocked_excerpt
Besides the story, several other things were released in this book, including:
- Full-color art
- A series of full-color illustrations based on scenes from the previous Keeper of the Lost Cities books (one from each book)
- Black-and-white illustrations
- Keeper of the Lost Cities recipes - which can be also found on her website
- An official map of the Lost Cities
- A series guide about the characters and world (including never-before revealed details)
- The inside cover of the book will feature an illustration drawn by Shannon Messenger.
For more information, stay tuned on events on Shannon Messenger's website, https://shannonmessenger.com
|About the Series|