The Arch of Dividing is an arch made from jagged, black metal woven from iron thistles.
Most use tried-and-true methods of escaping such as untying or severing the cord; however, some Waywards like Sophie come up with more unconventional ways of escaping, like almost burning down the entire arch and rope. There are definitely different ways of succeeding; the method a Wayward uses determines which hemisphere they belong to.
Arch of Dividing is the way to find out what hemisphere an elf is in. Later, when there was a training program, they used forms to see which one would best suit someone.
Known Ways of Escaping
- Untying the cord (Fitz) - Left Hemisphere
- Cutting the cord (Dex) - Right Hemisphere
- Coming down by leaving your pants behind and injuring your ankle (Keefe) - Right Hemisphere
- Fraying the cord against the arch (Biana) - Left Hemisphere
- Setting the cord and the arch on fire using a magnifying glass (Sophie) - Ambi Hemisphere
“A thick rope had tightened around her ankle, yanking [Sophie] off the ground and leaving her dangling upside down from the arch... 'Welcome to your Dividing!' a raspy female voice shouted from somewhere in the fog.”