She is given the name Natalie Freeman after Elvin Washers erased her memories, but her original name is Amy. When she found out she has two names, she decides to use the name Amy (meaning "beloved") because her her mom was the one who gave it to her. In the human world, however, she must continue to use Natalie in order to avoid triggering her parents' memories.
Personality[edit | edit source]
In the first book, Amy is described to be a loud, annoying younger sister to Sophie, often calling her by disliked nicknames and teasing her. Sophie considers Amy her exact opposite, with low grades and immense popularity among her friends.
When Amy is reintroduced in Nightfall, she shows much more maturity, determination, positivism, and a strong desire to help Sophie. She is extremely loyal to her family and does hours of research in order to find information on their whereabouts, although she is unable to help Sophie with any missions.
History[edit | edit source]
At the end of the book, the characters discover that the Neverseen attacked and kidnapped Sophie's human family. Sophie, Keefe, and Fitz searched the house and found a terrified Natalie (Amy) hiding. Amy remembers her when she sees her and calls out "Sophie?"
It is shown that Amy knows how to make her mind silent because she overhears the Neverseen talk about listening for thoughts and is able to stay undetected. Many fans believed that this was proof that she was an elf, and several guessed that she might be a product of the Lodestar Initiative. Amy gets her memories of Sophie back and is revealed to be only human, but is very helpful even when told to stay out of the situation regarding her parents.
At the very last minute, Amy says she wants to keep her memories (she originally chose to let Washers erase her memories of being in the Lost Cities), cancelling the process.
Mr. Forkle said he sometimes contacts her.
Family/Relationships[edit | edit source]
- Emma Iris Foster (Mother)
Emma Iris Foster is Amy's mother. Her name was changed to Kate Freeman when the Washers came to erase memories of Sophie. Amy is shown to love her, as she was very worried about her when she was kidnapped by the Neverseen.
- William David Foster (Father)
William David Foster is Amy's father. His name was changed to Connor Freeman for the same reason as above. Amy is shown to love him, as she was extremely worried about him when he was kidnapped by the Neverseen.
- Sophie Elizabeth Foster (sister)
Sophie is Amy's sister. Sophie lived with Amy until Fitz came to take her to the Elvin world. Sophie and Amy teased each other a lot during Sophie's 12 years in the human world. Sophie is known to have stolen and hidden Amy's karaoke machine while she was living in the human world. Their relationship has improved since Amy learned about the elvin world; Sophie is very protective of Amy and Amy is very loyal to her sister.
- Quinlin Sonden (former guardian)
- Livvy Sonden / Physic (former guardian)
Marty is a family cat and Watson is a dog that was given to the Freeman/Foster family (requested by Sophie) after the elves had erased and changed the identities of the Family. When taken to the Lost Cities, begs the elves to let her take her two pets.
- Mr. Forkle (acquaintance)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- She has a stuffed rabbit named Bun-Bun.
- The name "Amy" means "Beloved" in Latin.
- Amy has an Imparter that can call Sophie - but is only allowed to use it in case of emergency.
- She is able to understand the Enlightened Language because when Alden Vacker had the washers wipe the memories of the Freeman Family, he also engraved the Enlightened Language in their minds in case they need to talk to any Elves.
- Amy wasn't supposed to be born because her mom, Emma Iris Foster was deemed infertile to have a baby. When Sophie was "given" to the Fosters, the Black Swan knowing that one day Sophie would go to the the Lost Cities, gave Emma a secret Elvin fertility treatments so she could have a biological daughter. This resulted in Amy being born.
- Amy seems well-read, referencing books such as Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and The Chronicles of Narnia.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
“Just because I don't have fancy powers doesn't mean I'm useless.”
“And you keep... saving the world.”
“They weren't friends. And they weren't actual sisters. They were just two different girls from two different world coming together to save two people”
“I don't know how all of this is going to work out, but I'll be fighting for a happy ending too”